[Zope-dev] declarePublic and users

Itai Tavor itai@optusnet.com.au
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:43:40 +1000

Shane Hathaway wrote:

>Chris McDonough wrote:
>>  seb bacon wrote:
>>
>>>  * Chris McDonough <chrism@digicool.com> [010903 18:42]:

>>>  I think so, FWIW.  As you say, this behaviour is a result of an
>  >> implementation shortcut, rather than by design; I doubt the
>>>  performance benefits outweigh the silliness of the resulting
>>>  behaviour.
>>>  I thought I remembered someone from ZC saying it was changed for 2.4,
>>>  though?
>>

>>  Geez, I don't think so... maybe you mean the "Authenticated" role being
>>  added?
>>
>>  I'd say ditch the current behavior if we can be reasonably certain that
>>  nothing important (especially in the ZMI) depends on it.
>>
>>  Anybody want to write a fishbowl proposal?  ;-)
>>

>No, Seb is right.  As of Zope 2.4.x, authentication always occurs now.
>We did some tests with different configurations and nothing broke so we
>fixed it for good. :-)
>
>Shane

Is it Christmas already?

This has been bugging people almost forever, and I'm sure caused a
lot of wasted hours to a lot of people. It could have been changed at
any time, but until now nobody cared. Same thing with the orphan=3
problem, which was one of the all-time greatest FAQs, and could have
been fixed a long time ago, but was suddenly fixed a couple of weeks
ago.

Where is this new wind of cooperation and helpfulness coming from?
Not that I'm complaining, but I get suspicious when an unusually high
number of good things start to happen all at once.

But hey, why not complain anyway. As I'm stuck with 2.3.x because of
ZPatterns, I'm not going to get to enjoy these changes for quite a
while.
Itai Tavor                      -- "Je sautille, donc je suis."    --
itai@optusnet.com.au            --               - Kermit the Frog --
-- "If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything"      --