[Zope-dev] ZPatterns on 2.4.0

Itai Tavor itai@optusnet.com.au
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:30:32 +1000

Steve Alexander wrote:

>Itai Tavor wrote:
>

>>But hey, why not complain anyway. As I'm stuck with 2.3.x because
>>of ZPatterns, I'm not going to get to enjoy these changes for quite
>>a while.
>

>I'm using TransactionAgents (which is a variant of ZPatterns that
>works with 2.4.x) on a couple of large projects, with no problems.
>
>There are no incompatible API changes between the latest release of
>ZPatterns, and TransactionAgents. The only externally visible change
>that might need changes to code is where you're using
>subtransactions.
>
>This is now handled better and more consistently. The change to the
>larger of my ZPatterns projects was that I no longer needed to
>commit a subtransaction at a certain point.
>

>The complex parts of TransactionAgents to do with transactions have
>a suite of unit tests.
>

>Here's the TransactionAgents-0.3 announcement:
>
>   http://www.eby-sarna.com/pipermail/zpatterns/2001-August/000155.html

Thanks, Steve. I'm aware of TransactionAgents - I've seen all your
posts on the ZPatterns list.

First, ZPatterns isn't the only problem I'm not upgrading to Zope 2.4
- I only mentioned one reason, because that's not what my post was
really about. LoginManager is another problem - it's got problems
with Zope 2.3.x, and I have no idea what it will do in 2.4. And then
here's the fact that to move my current projects to 2.4 I'll have to
edit every single dtml-in loop in a hundred DTML Methods to change it
to the new prefix format.

Coming back to TAs - I got a couple of problems with those. First, I
don't understand them. True, I haven't tried to play with them yet,
but after reading the announcements and docs I have no idea what they
do exactly or how they would be used, and I don't feel like tackling
another steep learning curve. And second, as you say yourself in the
announcement, the next ZPatterns release from Phillip and Ty might
not be compatible with the TA release, and I really don't want to
program myself into another dead end.

Itai

P.S If we're going to keep discussing ZPatterns, we should probably
move it to the ZPatterns list.
Itai Tavor                      -- "Je sautille, donc je suis."    --
itai@optusnet.com.au            --               - Kermit the Frog --
-- "If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything"      --