[Zope-dev] DISCUSS: Community checkins for CVS

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:19:04 -0400

OK, a response.  Sorry for the delay.

First, I'll change the part of the introduction that says:

  "Essentially, a committer signs an agreement stating that all
    code that the committer submits has been created by her."

...to say:

  "Essentially, a committer signs an agreement stating that all
   code that the committer submits has been created by her, or
   that she has verified that the contributed code violates
   no rights."

Which means that we're going to take you up on your suggestion for
encouraging small patches.  I just added this to the FAQ:

   8) Does someone have to jump through all these legal hoops just to
   submit a small patch?

     The contributor agreement certainly is a heavy process for someone
     that wants to make a small contribution, such as a patch.  These
     contributions are just as important to the health of an open
     source project as major code work.  Thus, Zope should encourage
     patch contributions, not create an enormous disincentive.  At the
     same time, integrity of the code base needs to be maintained.

     For small contributions, simply supply them through a
     communications channel such as the bug tracker or the mailing
     lists.  Alternatively, contact a committer or ZC directly.  A
     committer will then review the patch and assume the legal issues
     of committing it themselves.  Likely they will contact the patch
     submitter and get a confirmation that the patch can be used.

     The committers will have some guidelines on recognizing when it is
     reasonable to accept a patch.  It should be clear when something
     has little basis for being deemed intellectual property, versus a
     major change with advanced algorithms.

In your note, you mentioned:

   I suppose that I could assign them those rights, but personally I
   find that idea repugnant since I don't believe in intellectual
   property <grin>.  (Hmm.  If I put my stuff in the public domain, how
   would that play in?)

Repugnancy aside :^) your second comment is on the mark.  It isn't so
much that you need to assign and "lose" ownership.  Rather, the
committer needs to ensure that they aren't violating your rights.

We'll probably work up some boilerplate such as, "I'm going to commit
your patch to Zope.  It's going to be available under the ZPL and the
joint ownership model of the Zope Contributor Agreement.  Please respond
agreeing that you understand the ZPL, the joint ownership model, and
allow this contribution under these terms."

How does that sound?

--Paul