[Zope-dev] Distributing Zope & one of our products

Richard Jones richard@bizarsoftware.com.au
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:07:48 +1000

On Thursday 27 September 2001 00:37, Simon Coles wrote:
> But of course at the moment we have to get them to:
> 		- install Zope
> 		- get, expand, and install the CMF (which is distributed as a .tgz,
> rather confounding Windows users)
>   - get our product and expand/install it
>   - then log in as the inituser, create a normal user, log out, log back
> in, create an ELN, then log out, then access the ELN, and join in the
> normal CMF fashion

What you're describing is exactly the issues (well, some of them :) that
we've addressed in making Zope a viable out-of-the-box product for our
commercial product. A result of our efforts are the two GUIs that we're
making available - the Mac OS X and Windows Zope Controllers.

  http://www.bizarsoftware.com.au/resource_centre/articles/open_source.html

Note, the screenshots are a little different to the current version - but the
general idea is still the same.

I hope to make a "batteries included" Zope distribution for both platforms
that include the controllers and some pre-installed products. We don't know
which products they'll be yet because the idea's still very young :)

Fishbowl proposal has been created - I'm announcing it in another thread.

    Richard