[Zope-dev] Simplification via custom protocol handlers: cvs://server/project, zope://foo ?

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 12:51:52 -0500 (EST)

> is bad.   What happens
> when we switch to some other revision control tool (like clearcase,
> subversion, sourcesafe)?  Either you
> have multiple classes like "CVS-XSLTFile, Clearcase-XSLTFile, etc." or a
> single class that knows
> about every possible version control system.   yuk.   Clearly,
> inheritance and mixins are not the answer.

If I understand you correctly, you are hitting exactly the problem
that the Z3 CompoentArchitecture is designed to solve, which it
does in a more general way than your URI based scheme.  You might
want to take a look, though it probably doesn't do you any
immediate good.

--RDM