[Zope-dev] RedstrictedCreation proposal

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 10:30:11 -0600

IMO, this comes at this at the wrong direction.

Objects should not decide whether they can be added to a given folder,
the folder should be the one that makes that decision.

It gives me the heebie geebies to think that every time the add list is
rendered, a whole slew of class methods are potentially called to
determine what gets put there.

This also invokes my ui chaos alarm. It gives things such arbitrary
ability to dynamically affect the ui, that it may cause mass confusion
by users who can't understand why an object is addable in one folder but
not in another (seemingly identical) folder. Granted, this is somewhat
possible right now (using permissions), but this pushes it a bit over
the edge for me. It smells too much like magic.

-Casey