[Zope-dev] Speaking of 2.6...

Lennart Regebro lennart@torped.se
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:52:41 +0200

From: "Brian Lloyd" <brian@zope.com>
>   a. dependency / requirement for ordered folder

I agree. But ordering is the simple part of this, and could be done without
orderedfolder. Does VHF use something else of orderedfolder? I think that
has been asked before, but I don't remember the answer.

> We've already learned the hard way that the existing SiteRoots
> and VirtualHostMonsters etc. confuse people. This is partly due
> to under-documentation, but it is also partly because of the
> "here, we'll give you several ways to do it!" approach.

Yup. Therefore I think that the host monster shouldn't be included. VHF
should supercede it.

There is an alternative, and that is to clean up the enhanced enhanced
virtual host monster we at Torped have done. It's based on sfm@imemes
enhanced VHM and just like VHF is makes it possible to have standalone
virtual hosting without strange apache magic. We added an API to translate
virtual to physical paths and back.

I don't like that as much, though.

If backwards compatibility is desired, add warning messages for usage and
remove the VHM from the add box, but continue to include it in the code. :-)