[Zope-dev] how bad are per-request-write-transactions

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:14:19 +0200

Shane Hathaway writes:
 > The change to transactions seems simple.  Another thought: the
 > long-lived queue might be committed only when there are regular objects
 > to commit *and* a certain amount of time has passed since the last
 > commit of the long-lived queue.  That might work well for catalogs.  Cool!
Of course, you are aware that this decoupling of activities
significantly increases the probability to observe inconsistencies:

    *  added or modified documents not (yet) found by a catalog search

    *  real inconsistencies due to restarts/failures

The first example, above, can be tackled by documentation and education.

For the second, cleanup operations that either go back to a previous
consistent state or finish what was on the long lived queue.

   Not that easy, I fear.

At least, I calls for a formal project...

Dieter