[Zope-dev] Where can I find the Zope XML DTD ?

Antonio De Marinis antde@spray.se
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 12:03:15 +0100

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0283771040554995_ID

yes I know ... but it is always good to have one :-)

> > Why I ask for it?
> >  If I have a DTD I could use Zope objects exported in XML and use them in external XML processing tools with validation. A practical examples is to use them together with XML enabled translations tools like Trados TagEditor. Then you can just export a Zope object, send it for translation to the translators and get back all the translated objects ready to import into Zope via ZMI (no more time on boring copy and paste).
>I do not think this is workable.
>
>  The XML exported only describes the structure of the document.
>  The semantics is covered only very implicitly.
>
>  I doubt very much that you find an easy syntactic criterion (based
>  on XML structure) that distinguishes between text to be translated
>  (like "title") and text that must not be touched (like "id").

I see the issue. But it would be good to have such semantics in the produced XML, so you can use it further ... otherwise I don't know what the XML produced by Zope should be used for ... I haven't find any use of it except of this idea to send it to translation companies.
>Look at the internationalization tools "localizer", "ZBabel"
>and the internationalization support in ZPT.
>I think these are better approaches.

I've looked into them and they are good approaches but they only try to solve the developer/programmer I18N issues and NOT those issues regarding "how to get all that traslated text into Zope from externals translators". That is my issue. I would like to export Zope objects localizible text (title, abstract, error messages, pieces of HTML, metadata etc ... ) and send this information to the translators who use XML-enabled tools in order to translate text into several languages. (An emerging XML standard for translation is XLIFF, http://www.xliff.org.)

Often we are not able to let translators access the ZMI and input the translations directly into Zope, they are not familiar with Zope and they have to use the proffesional translation tools with all the features included (spell checking, thesaurus, work-flow, translation memories etc...). It would be a nightmare to insert all the translations into Zope via the ZMI and Localizer. It works ok for a small size of text. But for the amount of objects we have to translate it would take ages, and why retype the whole text from the translators.

Localizer and ZBabel do not solve this problem. They solve the programmer issues. These tools haven't really recognized the translator role and how they work. They are not Zopatists and not any kind of Zope editor, they work in other companies and use their own tools and XML standards. If we want Zope to be a real Multilingual Content Management Tool then it would be a good choice to adabt Zope to the standards used in these translations tools.

>Dieter

Thanks for your help and interests in this discussion.
Antonio

H=E4r b=F6rjar internet!
Skaffa gratis e-mail och gratis internet p=E5 http://www.spray.se

Tr=E4ffa folk fr=E5n hela Sverige p=E5 ett och samma st=E4lle - http://chat.spray.se/

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0283771040554995_ID--