[Zope-dev] putting dtml-methods under CVS ?

Dan L. Pierson dan@control.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:10:42 -0500

--On Monday, February 11, 2002 12:14:25 PM +0100 Romain Slootmaekers
<romain@zzict.com> wrote:
> Our team is working on a Zope-product.
> Each developer has it's own zope server, and the python code for the
> product is maintained under CVS.
> the problem we have is that the some of the dtml-methods are written
> with the Zope management interface and end up in the ZODB.
> We want to put them under CVS control as well.
> Now I've been looking at some options:
>
> -) CMF's File System Directory view (appearantly only for
> lib/python/Products/CMF* stuff)
>
> -) CMF's FSDTMLMethod (but that one isn't modifiable through the
>    management interface.

These are essentially the same; FSDTMLMethod is what is used to support
DTML methods in a File System Directory view.

There is no requirement that File System Directory views exist only
in CMF* products.  You can create and register them in any project using
the CMF initialization utilities.  Look at my SqSQL product for a
comparatively simple example.

The only easy way I know to use File System Directory views is in a CMF
portal in conjunction with the portal_skins tool.  Note that you don't
have to use any of the other portal features, though you probably will
have to instantiate other portal_* tools.  If you're willing to do this
you can have a site that is essentially non-CMF except for portal_skins.
This is pretty close to what we do today.

Further discussion of this (sub)thread should be on zope-cmf@zope.org since
that's where the CMF experts hang out.

Dan Pierson