[Zope-dev] improved logging

Romain Slootmaekers romain@zzict.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:34:33 +0100 (CET)

Yo,
questions wrt logging:

-) What are the plans to improve the rather primitive logging facilities
in zope ?
I couldn't find anything in the plan for 2.6, nor on the 3.0 homepage.
I think we need at least an extendibl framework with following types of
components:

- Loggers (fi, file logger, db loggers, remote logger, nulllogger,...)
- Filters (fi on severity, on subsystem, ...)
- LogBus (central accesspoint for the logging framework,
  where you can (dynamically) hook your loggers, filters etc...

if time is an issue, we could just copy the design of fi Log4J which is a
good logging framework for apache.

-) If there are no such plans, can we hack something up ourselves and
add/donate it to the product ? I hate writing stuff that gets replaced by
something else afterwards ....

input appreciated.

Sloot.