[Zope-dev] Using propertysheets?

peter sabaini sabaini@inode.at
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 22:50:17 +0200

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> I'm making a Zope product (in python) where I want the users to have control
> over what properties that exist. At the same time I don't want the users to
> have to deal with having all properties in one big mess under the standard
> Property-tab.
>
> So, my question is then: Should I use the PropertySheets class for this, and
> if yes, does anybody have any example code, becuase it's not immediately
> obvious how to use it.

I think it should work well with PropertyManager

Usage (works for me):

  - Define your own edit form

  - Derive your class from PropertyManager

  - Add a propertysheet to a class instance, eg.:
     def __init__(self):
         self.propertysheets.manage_addPropertySheet('advanced', 'advanced')

  - Add a prop:
    advanced.manage_addProperty('something', 0, 'int')

  - Do something with your propsheet, eg. update it:
     adv = self.propertysheets.get('advanced')
     if REQUEST is not None:
         return self.manage_advancedForm(
                 REQUEST,
                 manage_tabs_message='Advanced Settings updated.',
                 )

  - Or read a property:
     self.propertysheets.get('advanced').something

If you're having problems just shout.
cheers!
peter.