[Zope-dev] let's just get rid of it (was: Last-modified and bobobase_modification_time)

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo@hiper.com.br
19 Jun 2002 13:37:49 -0300

IMHO, Last-modified does not make sense for dynamically calculated
pages, as most zope pages are. We should just not provide this header,
or provide with the value of the current time.

I think the Last-modified header should only be properly calculated for
objects whose 'bobobase_modification_time' actually reflects the state
of the object as seen from someone rendering it directly, such as File
and Image objects.

A single <dtml-var ZopeTime> in a method is enough to render the
Last-modified header dangerously inacurate, IMO.

Zope is a dynamic web server. Most of the time, any hit returned by zope
was dynamically generated just now, and that's what we should be telling
web clients, with very specific exceptions, such as necessarily static
content (Files and Images), cached methods (RAM cache manager), or
methods where we programatically pretend the pages where not dynamically
calculated (by manually setting headers).

Cheers, leo.

--
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.