[Zope-dev] let's just get rid of it (was: Last-modified and bobobase_modification_time)

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:16:12 +0200

Leonardo Rochael Almeida writes:
 > IMHO, Last-modified does not make sense for dynamically calculated
 > pages, as most zope pages are. We should just not provide this header,
 > or provide with the value of the current time.
Most Zope objects do not send "Last-Modified" headers, unless
you use an HTTP cache manager. File objects (and derived objects)
do but there it is justified.

However, Zope seems to send a bogus ETag header.
The HTTP spec says that the ETag must uniquely identify the current
incarnation of the entity. Especially, the ETag should change, when
the entity is modified.
But Zope sends empty "ETag" headers, allowing HTTP compatible
caches to cache the pages.

This seems to be a bug with the consequence of unanticipated caching
problems.

Dieter