[Zope-dev] MonkeyPatching in the Core (was: Zope 2.6 planning)

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
04 Mar 2002 12:48:54 +0000

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 11:23, Chris Withers wrote:
> seb bacon wrote:
> >
> > http://zope.nipltd.com/public/lists/dev-archive.nsf/ByKey/4084B02199CC6AFB
> >
> > (to save the bother of following the link, that's the thread from  about
> > a month ago regarding evidence suggesting ZPT may be *twice* as slow as
> > DTML)
>
> Yup. And I'm a pretty strong advocate that ZPT should be speeded up a lot.

Indeed.  However, I was being a bit glib with my example, and didn't
explain my point properly: that performance issues should be subordinate
to good design.  Therefore, I suspect MonkeyPatching is bad:

 Pros - a tiny performance gain
 Cons - unpredictable interaction with future products; not a well-known
method of distributing products; not easily discoverable

But perhaps my 'cons' are misplaced?  Mostly, I'm uneasy that someone
looking at ZPublisher code would have no way of knowing that
CallProfiler hooks into it if it were monkeypatched.

seb

seb