[Zope-dev] Re: MonkeyPatching in the Core (was: Zope 2.6planning)

Adrian Hungate adrian@haqa.co.uk
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:51:42 -0000

Just as a follow up to my last comment: I think it would be a very good idea
to have a common framework with the basic distribution for patches (Who cam
up with monkeypatch?? nasty name), and to that end I offer PatchKit as a
starting point. The aim in my sugestion is to allow ideas such as Marc's
here to be applied to patches as well has fully formed products. If all
patches were loaded into a PatchManager, there could be a global off switch,
and an individual off switch for each patch.

This would also encorage patch writers to make their patches in a common
style, that could be easily queried (On the Control_Panel or a sub page) to
report on patches and their basic actions.

I could go on, but I think you can see where I am going here... (Sort of
components I guess) :)

Adrian...

--
The difficulty of tactical maneuvering consists in turning the devious into
the direct, and misfortune into gain.