[Zope-dev] Cookie Crumbler and similar products (Re: Zope 2.6 project updated)

Dario Lopez-Kästen Dario Lopez-Kästen
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 21:08:58 +0100

From: "Matt Behrens" <matt.behrens@kohler.com>
> Christian Theune wrote:
>
> > Well I saw the cookie crumbler wish has been added to the list already,
> > and (as i tested it out this moment) don't see what exactly needs to
> > be done than adding it by default to the root userfolder.
> > Well, probably some facelifting to the default login, thats not
> > urgent in any way but if wished i would do that.
>
> Well, as far as "least-intrusive", CC loses some points by not being
> compatible with some of the user folders that do their own cookie auth,
> although that's arguably not CC's fault.

Which makes me think of another point. I haven't used Zope 2.5.1 yet, but I
understand from some of the traffic on the mailinglists that some have
wanted to disable the session tracking/session management beause it
interferes with the solutions they allready use for session tracking.

And now there is a possible inclusion of another product (CC) that might
conflict with other products' cookie functionality.

Instead of locking up users with a particular implementation of a solution
to a general problem, why not present an API for a) session management and
b) cookie management, and then present default products that use these API's
to provide solutions? This way it will not be hard to replace both session
management and cookie management with other products.

Any one else think that this might be a worthwhile idea? If so, I can offer
time and effort and my limited knowledge of zope to make this possible.

/dario