[Zope-dev] ZMI: IE6 TextArea width bug: fix on tap for 2.6?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@adelphia.net
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 16:12:44 -0500

I was wondering if there was any consensus on how best to fix or
compensate for the unfortunate behaviour of IE6 with regards to the
width calculation of textarea boxes. For anyone who hasn't seen it, the
full-width texareas that are everywhere in the ZMI suddenly started
pushing the width out in IE6, causing the horizontal scrollbar to become
active, and generally making ZMI editing life miserable.

Would it be possible to include in 2.6 (or 2.5.1, even better) a user
preference, sitewide configuration setting, or other means of
suppressing a few pixels/percent of that default width? I'm loathe to
apply a massive search-replace to put "95%" in my local ZMI source, and
IE6 must be a common enough platform for Zope users to warrant a
workaround. I wouldn't hold my breath that MS would fix IE or anything
sensible like that.

It would be a shame to slow the whole thing down with browser detection
logic for this one bug, unless that opened up the door for some of the
Javascript/DHTML editors as a per-user preference for editing certain
metatypes.