[Zope-dev] ZPT has better error messages on save

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Wed, 08 May 2002 14:20:25 -0600

On 5/8/02 2:38 AM, "Chris Withers" <chrisw@nipltd.com> wrote:

> Adrian Hungate wrote:
>>
>> This would have turned up the the testing, My normally save is
>> Save/View/Back (if you see what I mean).
>
> ...as opposed to ZPT which would have given you a nice error message
> explaining exactly where the error was and what caused it, even if it was just
> because you hadn't closed a </table> ;-)

This is especially nice when using an FTP/WebDAV tool.  You can keep saving
and saving and saving, with errors, and then get a report from the ZMI.
While saving with errors may sound wrong to some, remember that you can save
ASP pages with all the errors you want, there's nothing that's going to
check them until compile/execution time.

And, it's MUCH better than the cryptic FTP save errors one gets when
forgetting to close a <dtml-if>, or using <dtml-and> outside of a
<dtml-sqlgroup>.

--
Jeffrey P Shell
www.cuemedia.com