[Zope-dev] ZPT is young

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Wed, 08 May 2002 16:26:37 -0400

Adrian Hungate wrote:
> Vi/Emacs war anyone? :)
>
> Seriously though, what, exactly, was so broken about DTML that fixing it
> became so vital?

I remember the discussion, "back in the day", that lead to ZPT.  People
were adamant that DTML was the biggest thing holding back Zope.  Pretty
funny, eh?

Lesson learned: when the vast majority of an open source project
unanimously agree on a change, afterwards another vast majority will pop
up in opposition. :^)

> Given the strengths of DTML I still maintain that ZPT is no (yet?) a
> complete replacement, and given the comfortable, familiar syntax, I doubt
> that it should ever replace DTML completely, even if most pages are ZPT. I
> would be very supprised (Not to mention impressed) if by 2.6 ZPT can
> comfortably replace every aspect of DTML without having to employ Python
> scripts, or some arcane incantations.

It's ok if DTML doesn't replace ZPT.  Earlier in this thread you
extolled the virtues of an imperative language for templating.  I can
safely say, ZPT is not for you. :^)

In fact, I can easily close this argument: if you don't like ZPT, then
you probably aren't in its intended audience.  Gotta love
self-fulfilling logic like that!

--Paul