[Zope-dev] RAMCachemanager not caching brains or why doesn't Zope like the taste of pickled brains ?

Tim Hoffman timhoffman@cams.wa.gov.au
09 May 2002 08:53:51 +0800

Hmm

I shall investigate why <mybrains> instances can't be pickled
as it strikes me that they are probably one of the more likely
objects one would like to cache (despite their taste ;-)  ie results of
expensive catalog searches that will be batched.

=== time elapsed =====

And now I know why I can't pickle brains

in Products.Catalog.Catalog

The following method declare the class mybrains inside it.

def useBrains(self, brains):
        """ Sets up the Catalog to return an object (ala ZTables) that
        is created on the fly from the tuple stored in the self.data
        Btree.
        """

        class mybrains(AbstractCatalogBrain, brains):
            pass

        scopy = self.schema.copy()

        scopy['data_record_id_']=len(self.schema.keys())
        scopy['data_record_score_']=len(self.schema.keys())+1
        scopy['data_record_normalized_score_']=len(self.schema.keys())+2

        mybrains.__record_schema__ = scopy

        self._v_brains = brains
        self._v_result_class = mybrains

And looking at the doc's seb pointed too, it says that picklable classes
must be top level classes. So two questions are raised from this

1. has mybrains been declared within the method for a specific reason
such as data hiding, and/or to prevent pickling it?

2. What would be the danger of caching brains ?

Regards

Tim