[Zope-dev] Don't try to "improve" or "reinvent" XML. Stick with the standard.

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Fri, 10 May 2002 20:57:19 +0100

Don Hopkins wrote:
> From: "Marc Lindahl" <marc@bowery.com>
>
>>>You would need something to close off the 'if' statement, otherwise, a
>>>document full of 'if' statements and no 'else' ones could fill up a
>>
> stack
>
>>>needlessly.
>>
>>What's so bad about that?  The stack wouldn't carry over after

>>or <body></body> - couldn't practically more than 1000's - insignificant!
>

> If you're not going to use correct XML syntax, which REQUIRES balanced tags,
> then you shouldn't use a syntax that looks like XML but isn't.

I don't think that's what was originally suggested.

I think what was originally suggested is that an 'if' *element* would
leave something on the interpreter's stack, for use by an 'else' element
later.

So, the document remains well-formed, but there is a coupling between
non-contained elements.

--
Steve Alexander