[Zope-dev] ZEO & product installation Q

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
21 May 2002 11:25:07 -0400

The documentation for ZEO contains the following note about product
installation.  The final sentence suggests that we intend to fix it,
but I don't understand the problem exactly or whether it has been
fixed.

Can anyone tell me if this warning is still relevant?

Jeremy

  Zope product installation

    Normally, Zope updates the Zope database during startup to reflect
    product changes or new products found. It makes no sense for
    multiple ZEO clients to do the same installation. Further, if
    different clients have different software installed, the correct
    state of the database is ambiguous.

    Zope will not modify the Zope database during product installation
    if the environment variable ZEO_CLIENT is set.

    Normally, Zope ZEO clients should be run with ZEO_CLIENT set so
    that product initialization is not performed.

    If you do install new Zope products, then you need to take a
    special step to cause the new products to be properly registered
    in the database.  The easiest way to do this is to start Zope
    once with the environment variable FORCE_PRODUCT_LOAD set.

    The interaction between ZEO and Zope product installation is
    unfortunate.  In the future, this interaction will be removed by