[Zope-dev] Using Zope from a console script

Gilles Lenfant gilles@pilotsystems.net
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:18:13 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerome Alet" <alet@librelogiciel.com>
To: "Gilles Lenfant" <gilles@pilotsystems.net>
Cc: <zope-dev@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope-dev] Using Zope from a console script

> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:25:23PM +0100, Gilles Lenfant wrote:
> >
> > That's the way I started to do the stuff but this requires too many Zope
> > side xmlrpc handlers I should not need if accessing directly to the Zope
> > objects.
>
> <shamelessplug mode="again_and_again">
>
> Did you try to manipulate your ZODB with ZShell ?
>
> You can also do it in a limited way through xml-rpc with the help
> of Andy McKay's ZShellCLI, but ZShell commands can manipulate
> several (**many**) objects at a time, so the slowdown would be
> minimal.
>
> depending on what you want to achieve this may be useful.
>
> get it from http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/
>
> upcoming versions of ZShellScripts will provide easier xml-rpc
> access to ZShell functionnalities.
>
> </shamelessplug>
>
> hth
>
> Jerome Alet

Bonjour Jérôme.

ZShell is great but this is not really suited to what I'm doing.
The console script (that works perfectly when the server is down) indexes in
a ZCatalog a big amount of "fake" objects that are not stored in the ZODB.
This is an (almost successful) attempt to use a ZCatalog for a search engine
that targets non Zope documents repositories.

* Word docs in a samba FS
* Other (non Zope) sites
* ...

I just try to have it working when the Zope server is up because the script
may work some dozen of minutes (fetching visible text of web pages,
transforming word docs to plain text...) in real (production) situation.

Cheers

--Gilles