[Zope-dev] Zope RPMs/debs and Linux FHS

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
14 Oct 2002 12:05:02 -0400

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 11:50, Jim Penny wrote:
> I will be honest here.  I don't care a lot about how the debian files
> are packaged, or where.  But I do not want to see two sets of debs with
> differing layouts.  I would rather that either Chris become an official
> debian maintainer and take over zope (and thereby upload it to the
> normal repositories), or that he leave debian packaging to Gregor, or
> whoever succeeds him.  There is no reason that zope.org cannot have a
> short paragraph or two on installing zope under debian, which points
> people to the normal repositories; or alternatively, there is no reason
> that zope.org cannot mirror debian's zope and related packages.

Agreed.  It would be nice, however, to have the files placed by default
in the same places under RedHat and Debian binaries, and the source
distro, however, so the instructions are uniform.  I realize this may
not be a a good idea in the face of historical distributions, and I
wouldn't even think of doing it without buy-in from all interested
parties.  I'd rather not become the Debian maintainer, so there's some
self-interest here as well. ;-)

- C