[Zope-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] change date vs. save date

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 04:19:37 -0400

THerp@apriori.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any chance that Zope/ZODB will distinguish between the datetime an
> object is saved (bobobase_modification_time) and the datetime it was
> actually changed?

There is absolutely no chance of this. The reason, of course, is that
there is no way for the ZODB to know what changes are meaningful. The right
way to track meaningful application events is to do so at the application level.

For example, Zope 3 tracks creation and modification times that have nothing
to do with database time stamps. It's up to application code to publish
IObjectCreatedEvents and IObjectModifiedEvents. There are subscribers for these
events that record the times of the events in Dublin-Core meta-data elements that
can be queried by application code.

Note that I'm copying zope3-dev and zope-dev who might find this interesting.

Jim