[Zope-dev] [ZOPE 2.6 B1] Unicode/locale problems withOFS/dtml/properties.dtml

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:38:17 +0200

> > (yes, this sucks. The problem is that browsers dont specify the
> > character encoding used in form submissions. At some point we need to
> > discuss the way forward on this issue....)
>
> There is a standard accept-charset attribute of forms, which says what
> encodings are accepted by the form handler (Zope here). I think we
> should use it and set it to UTF-8 in those cases.

Just to be clear, this is an HTML attribute of the <form> tag. For
instance:

<form action="foo" ... accept-charset="UTF-8">
</form>

This instructs the browser it should send the content of the form in the
accepted charset. As a default, it is recommended that user agents use
the encoding of the document, but this is not a strict requirement in
HTML4.

Florent