[Zope-dev] Streaming Response

Brett Carter brett@kavi.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:36:14 -0700

> Mmmhhh. When playing around with "content-type" and "transfer-encoding" I
> actually got something back from IE6 that looked like it was doing the
> right thing. But then again there were "etag" and "transfer-ecnoding"
> quoted on the page, which I never (directly) invoked. Also some numbers.
> Very odd.
>
> I think I need a bit more insight on HTTPResponse.py and how it deals with
> manipulations, but I find it hard to read its source code. Also, what's the
> exact difference between streaming and chunking? (I've got an idea but no
> facts, esp. in regards to HTTPResponse.py)

I think you're confused - you don't need to look any further than the tools
zope provides you - the setHeader and write methods off the RESPONSE object
are all you need.  HTTP push is a browser implemented protocol, all the
server does is set a header and then iteratively send specially formatted
chunks of data over HTTP.

> My problem now is that I need something that works with IE. There's funny
> things going on with my hairs and toes when I hear the word "ActiveX
> plugin", so I'm still hoping for alternatives.

This doesn't work with IE5 or IE6 on the PC.  It does work with IE5 on mac
though strangely enough.  One solution is not to use IE :)

> Thank you for your response :-), and that library of yours sounds like a
> good thing(tm). Maybe you can ask your employer if you can pass it on.

Shure, I'll ask, but don't get your hopes up.  In any case, it's a really
simple library anyways.
-Brett