[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] What do we want in the way of Zope binary distributions?

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
17 Apr 2003 10:32:22 -0400

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 06:02, Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 03:37:34PM +0100, Toby Dickenson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 April 2003 3:25 pm, Chris McDonough wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to propose that ZC drops the "generic" Linux binary distribution
> > > in favor of an RPM distribution that would be "guaranteed" to run on
> > > the latest Red Hat release or the one before it, but might also work on
> > > Mandrake, etc.
>
> It's quite unfair. I would second this proposal, only if you list other form
> of packages / linux distribution as far as possible. RPM and Red Hat are not
> the only one. Debian packages may be found at http://packages.debian.org/zope.

Of course we will continue to list other binary packages on the download
pages, just like we do now.   The only thing the proposal deals with is
the packages that are created by ZC itself.  Other folks are free to
continue packaging Zope however they like, and we will link to those
packages as requested.

ZC has never produced a Debian package, so nothing will have changed ..
unless you count the dropping of the creation by ZC of a generic Linux
tarball Zope distro as "unfair".  Do you consider its future omission
unfair?

On that note, several months ago I had a long stream of slow-motion
email exchanges with folks that (at the time at least) were responsible
for creating the Zope Debian distro.  At the time, they were not
interested in receiving ZC's upstream packaging help.  I offered help,
but I left those discussions with the impression that there was nothing
I could do. Has this changed?  I would be happy to help.  I use Debian
too. ;-)

As far as supporting other (non-Debian) Linux releases in binary format,
But creating many slightly different binary packages is not something ZC
has the resources to do.  For these, there is the source distro and
other community contributed packages.  Same for FreeBSD and NetBSD and
HPUX and IRIX and Solaris, as far as I'm concerned.

> > > Comments?
> >
> > I would appreciate a pgp signature for official releases, source and binary.
>
> I agree.
>
> This issue would have been more appropriate no zope-packagers though.

Errr... probably.  If I had known about it.  What is its subscription
address and archive URL, so I can add it to the mailing lists page on
Zope.org?

- C