[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] What do we want in the way of Zope binary distributions?

Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis luca@debian.org
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:54:02 +0200

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 10:32:22AM -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
> ZC has never produced a Debian package, so nothing will have changed ..
> unless you count the dropping of the creation by ZC of a generic Linux
> tarball Zope distro as "unfair".  Do you consider its future omission
> unfair?

I considered unfair the proposal of dropping the generic linux binary
distribution in favour of one specific type of package. Linux is open to many
implementation and i think that one cannot easily tell what user face/use:
Debian (and deb packages) is one of them as gentoo ebuild system, stampede and
so on. I'm fine with the decision of releasing the source and suggest link to
other form of packages which is more flexible for you and give some bonus to
the people packaging zope.

> On that note, several months ago I had a long stream of slow-motion
> email exchanges with folks that (at the time at least) were responsible
> for creating the Zope Debian distro.  At the time, they were not
> interested in receiving ZC's upstream packaging help.  I offered help,
> but I left those discussions with the impression that there was nothing
> I could do. Has this changed?  I would be happy to help.  I use Debian
> too. ;-)

We have changed somthing (i hope better): please, join us again.
Any volunteer may track changes and bugs (mostly Debian specific) with our
Package Tracking System:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/z/zope.html

Here you'll find some intersting information about the Zope Debian package.