[Zope-dev] FileUpload questions

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Aug 14 16:41:59 EDT 2003

>   I have been looking at the FileUpload class defined in HTTPRequest.py
>but am still a little confused about how it works.
>
>   When a form is submitted with an <input type="file" ...>, where are the
>contents of the uploaded file stored?  Is it automatically stored in the
>ZODB, or is it stored in memory until some other code (like that in
>Image.py) stores it?
>
>   The reason I am asking is that I want to store uploaded files on the
>file system instead of in the ZODB.  (We are running Zope behind an Apache
>web server, so the uploaded files will be placed under Apache's document
>root so they can be served directly by Apache.)  Being new to Zope and
>Python, it is not clear to me exactly how to go about this.

Don't bother mucking around in the core. The right way to do it is to
use a Product that stores data on the fiesystem, acting as a facade.

Look at LocalFS, ExtFile/ExtImage, ExternalFile, and possibly APE.
Probably LocalFS or ExternalFile are most interesting to you.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/localfs
http://zope.org/Members/arielpartners/ExternalFile
http://zope.org/Members/MacGregor/ExtFile
http://hathaway.freezope.org/Software/Ape