[Zope-dev] Why is it _setObject(), and why is it undocumented

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 15:48:48 +0100

From: "Max M" <maxm@mxm.dk>
> Sorry but I don't see that. How on earth are you suposed to add an
> object to an objectmanager, if you don't use _setObject() ??

You use another method that in turn calls _setObject.

Now you may argue that there should be a public method that does the same,
but that is strictly another question.

> Every time you make an object that subclasses ObjectManager, wich is
> often, you need to use that function. That can hardly be called private.

It depends on what you define as "private". I have never seen the use of
shielding a method from future subclasses of a class. It only causes
problems and unessecary restrictions. For me, private means that you shield
it from use outside of the object, not from your subclasses.