[Zope-dev] absolute_url: why not publishable?

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:50:51 -0800

Visit foo/absolute_url and you will find that it
"has an empty or missing docstring".
Is this by design, or is it just something that nobody has needed?
I would like to propose making it callable TTW, unless somebody
knows a reason it should not be.

I could make use of it in two ways:

1) every now and then I forget that it doesn't work, and I type stuff like
http://my_zope_site/foo/bar/baz/absolute_url
when I'm not sure if baz is being acquired from foo, from bar, or the site root
(or maybe even a CMF skin) and I want to find out quickly.

2) (kind of esoteric)  It would be nice to be able to easily get "normalized"
URLs from zope objects into non-zope systems that link to Zope content.
e.g. today I wished I could tell a JSP developer at my company to
use something like

(... and yes, we do have something like a stupidHttpClient.)

-

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com
Look! Up in the sky! It's HIGHLY TOXIC PIRATE!