[Zope-dev] disutils win32 2.6.1b2 setup.py layout questions

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@yahoo.com
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:17:27 -0500

(Originally posted in zope.general, I figure this group more often compiles the source)

I want to create a Zope 2.6.1b2 instance running on Python 2.2.2, and one amenable to
building C extensions found in various add-on products. I have one interim deployment
to Win32 until we migrate an MSSQL database to PostgresSQL on linux, so the fact that
this is Win32 may be making it harder than it needs to be. I downloaded the source
tarball and was impressed by how well it compiled using distutils (I have VS.NET on
this machine, so cl.exe is readily available).

Can I solicit some advice on layout parameters to the setup.py script? I don't fully know
what the three parameters imply yet, and my recent attempt didn't quite line up:

C:\Program Files\Python\   (Python 2.2.2, default python win32_all and other
add-ons installed)

C:\Program Files\Zope261b2>python setup.py install
--home=C:\Progra~1\Zope261b2
--install-platlib=C:\Progra~1\Zope261b2\lib\python
--install-purelib=C:\Progra~1\Zope261b2\lib\python

What I'm seeking is a Zope laid out with similarity as appropriate to the win32 binary
distribution, except using the python in C:\Progra~1\Python\ for all non-zope libraries.

FWIW, I have a working win32 binary Zope 2.6.1b2 in C:\Program Files\Zope which I
can refer to, if someone can point out the post-build steps that don't happen on Win32
user-compiles.

After the basic install is working, I'll get to work on setting up a ZEO2 local server,
local client
setup that uses the resultant layout for instance_home and software_home, another topic
I'll need some tips on, what with ZEO2 moving into ZODB and the possibilities of using
the new DBTab. Thanks for any advice.

C:\Program Files\Zope261b2
(no \bin, I presume)
 doc