[Zope-dev] Zope Server Control

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 15:16:46 -0500

On 02/07/2003 02:16 PM, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:32:44AM -0800, sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:
>
>>If there is any interest in a framework that could provide the underlying
>>functionality to multiple UI front-ends, as well as automated stuff like
>>alerts/monitoring, I would certainly be interested in using and contributing
>>to development of such a beast.
>

> Oooh! Oooh! One more: build in a window with a python prompt
> that connects straight in to a ZEO debugging session (
> (possibly remotely).

Okay, I added some features to the mockup:

http://hathaway.freezope.org/Images/controller_snapshot2.png

Now the right-hand panel is a scrolling window with expand buttons to
the left of each process being monitored.  That way, this little GUI can
scale up to monitoring large clusters or many independent Zopes.  I also
added a "debug" button to one of the ZEO clients, which would open a
Python prompt in a window.

I imagine that the interface to the backend would be a TCP connection
with simple text commands and asynchronous replies.  Using TCP this way
makes it possible to use either a local connection or SSH to connect to
the server being monitored.

As for PyQT vs. wxPython, either one is fine.  I also lean toward
wxPython, partly because its license is simple.

Shane