[Zope-dev] Offtopic: it's vs. its

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:16:32 -0500

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> I'm sorry to bring forward the topic of grammar, which is usually very
> bad netiquette, and I hope nobody will feel offended, but...
>
> I cringe everytime I see "it's" used instead of "its" in the checkins or
> the wikis, which happens very often. Some folks are even using the
> incorrect form practically systematically :-)
>
> So could you be a bit more careful, especially all you native-English guys?
>
> All this with lots of :-) :-)

I understand the complaint, but I think it's harder than you might
think.  Not everyone is an English teacher. :-)

For anyone looking for tips, here's a pretty comprehensive list of
common mistakes.  I've certainly made some of these mistakes:

http://david.tribble.com/text/misspell.htm

Personally, I like creative misspellings. :-)

Shane