[Zope-dev] Zope and Python compatibility

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:03:19 -0500

> FYI, the current CVS head (to be 2.7) now requires 2.2.2 as per an
> earlier papal edict. So there will be at least some work involved in
> making it run under 2.1.3.

I know.  It's not much work, and I have already volunteered to do it.
Jim has explicitly undone that decision and told me it's Brian's call
now.

> I kindof feel like we already made a rather firm commitment to
> *requiring* 2.2.x. I did not fully agree with that decision at the
> time, but to renig on it now seems fairly counterproductive unless
> someone can provide a really good reason.

I also did not agree at the time.  I don't see how it can be
counterproductive to change a broken decision.

> I personally feel like Zope should run on 2.2.x whether required or
> not.  Requiring 2.2.x does have the advantage of limiting the
> possible blessed configurations on which Zope will run, thereby
> making development, support and bug fixing that much easier.

I *also* volunteer to make sure that *to the limits of my knowledge*
Zope 2.7 indeed continues to run under Python 2.2.2.