[Zope-dev] Re: AdaptableStorage

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:29:29 -0500

Oliver Bleutgen wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> I've seen it before, but I don't think FAM is able to monitor an
>> entire directory tree.  It only monitors individual files.  I'd really
>> like to be wrong. :-)
>

> I think you are wrong, because the manpage (for IRIX) says otherwise.
> Additionally, it wouldn't be of much use for kde etc. if it only could
> monitor files. I think a filemanager would mainly be interested in
> directory changes (files added/deleted).

I checked again.  It is still limited to 1000 files or directories at a
time.  It's not meant for entire subtrees, it has to run as root, and it
requires portmap, making it less attractive.

> Then there's also dnotify (also reference from the FAM site) - there's
> hope that the "d" isn't an acronym for "file" ;).
> I remember someting about recent 2.4.x versions having the prerequisites
> to use that.

Now this one is quite interesting.  It requires at least kernel 2.4.19,
so I guess I'm at the edge of kernel development. (!)  It just might do
the trick, and maybe even better than I hoped.  Thanks.

> I don't have any expirience on win32, but just searched google.
> There's Win32::ChangeNotify for perl, described here
> http://www.xav.com/perl/site/lib/Win32/ChangeNotify.html
>
> and this seems to use ReadDirectoryChangesW, decribed here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/readdirectorychangesw.asp

Yep, that's it.  With some "unicode update", it even works on Win95.
But I'm going to leave the Windows work for someone else.

Shane