[Zope-dev] Effect of DB Writes on Performance

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:11:53 +0100

Brian R Brinegar wrote at 2003-1-15 16:37 -0500:
 > What effect do ZODB Writes have on Performance? We use Zope in an
 > environment where users are constantly updating and maintaining content
 > within the ZODB. Do these writes to the Database slow down overall
 > performance?
When you are using FileStorage (below ZODB) then each write will
append the modified object as a serialized bytestream to
the file. With a high write frequency, your storage file may
rapidly grow and may need to be packed frequently.

Moreover, the ZODB uses an optimistic conflict resolution policy.
Such a policy is only efficient when the conflict probability
is low.
With higher write frequency, the conflict probability tends to
increase...

Dieter