FHS, zopectl, #925, Re: [Zope-dev] 2.7 installation

Adrian van den Dries avdd@flow.com.au
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:26:51 +1000

On June 18, Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:
> For what concern Debian, the intallation home will still be /usr/lib/zope
> untill python fully comply FHS[1] (http://python.org/sf/588756). I'll probably
> move it to /usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages in future, but i'm still not sure.

Well, if you're going to have a policy shoot-out:

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-4.4.html

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-4.7.html

> The /usr/share hierarchy is for all read-only architecture
> independent data files.

I think most of us would agree that .py(c) files are *libraries* and
not *data files*.  Data files would be the skeleton instance
directory.

Perhaps it is a little premature preaching about conformance to the
FHS when Zope's package doesn't conform to the Python policy (to which
I cannot link because I cannot find a static URL - see
/usr/share/doc/python/python-policy.txt.gz).

> Debian has choosed to be be strictly compliant to FHS[1], including
> it in the Debian Packaing Policy.

As demonstrated, Python complies with the FHS.  I see no active or
archived "serious policy violation" bugs relating to Python's FHS
compliance.

What is the status of the Python Policy?

a.

--
 Adrian van den Dries                           avdd@flow.com.au
 Development team                               www.dev.flow.com.au