FHS, zopectl, #925, Re: [Zope-dev] 2.7 installation

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:58:24 -0400

Chris McDonough wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 10:14, Chris McDonough wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 02:57, PieterB wrote:
>>>How do those files compare to the buildscript:
>>>http://cvs.zope.org/NZO_SiteLayout/buildout_zope_sandbox?cvsroot=Zope.org
>>
>>The NZO make-driven buildout is an early revision of what we use.  There
>>is no publically available later revision, but it hasn't changed all
>>that much.
>

> Scratch that!  I hadn't looked at it in a while.  This looks nothing
> whatsoever like what our Makefile-driven buildout for NZO used to look
> like.  I guess Sidnei didn't like it and changed it to a shell-driven
> buildout.

I don't blame him.  Makefiles are very obtuse--especially if you try to
make them modular and reusable!

FWIW, I've put together a tool for managing rollouts of many software
packages at once and I'm using it quite successfully for a customer
project.  I'd really like to either:

- Release it as open source so others can use it and help maintain it.

- Replace it with something with at least the same simple UI with its
functionality, maintainability, and freedom.

I prefer the second option, but I've had trouble finding anything that
does the right things with a simple command-line UI.  RedHat's RPM
doesn't do enough.  Debian's "apt" has a nasty UI and is tied too
closely with Debian.  Mandrake's "urpmi", equivalent to "apt", is tied
too closely with Mandrake.  There are various commercial tools, but I
despise the possibility of legal issues.

Just last night, though, I noticed that Gentoo is making a Mac OS X
port.  Not a PowerPC port, mind you, but a port to a different OS.  That
means Gentoo, like Debian, is not tied directly with Linux.  And
Gentoo's build system is written in Python, AFAIK.  Has anyone tried
extracting Gentoo's build system and using it for partial software
distributions?  That might be the way to go.

Shane