[Zope-dev] R: DBTab and CMF

Fabio Paracchini fparacchini@alteanet.it
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 07:44:22 +0100

Shane,
	I tried your suggestion and it worked seamlessly also on BDBStorage,
you
only have to copy the whole BDB directory and rename it.

Thanks once again
Fabio

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Shane Hathaway
Inviato: mercoledi 5 marzo 2003 22.29
A: Fabio Paracchini
Cc: zope-dev@zope.org
Oggetto: Re: DBTab and CMF

Fabio Paracchini wrote:
> Hi Shane,
> 	I was able to successfully install and use DBTab & BDBStorage, and
> migrate a legacy archive of about 20Gb of Office documents.
>
> Now I run in this situation: I'd like to partition those archives, so that
> everything is not in a single giant DB, but is split among several smaller
> DBs.
>
> DBTab works perfectly if you have a 'standard' Zope environment, i.e. if
you
> have Mountpoints/Folders.
>
> I was not able to mount a different storage beneath a CMF Folder, it seems
> that inside DBTab's code a mount point is derived from Folder, and that is
> not shown in a CMF/Plone site.
>
> Do you have any clues about using DBTab's mount points in a CMF/Plone site
?

Tres and I stumbled upon the right way to do this yesterday: you make a
copy of your database first, then in the primary database you delete the
items you want to load from the secondary database and replace them with
mount points.

A concrete example: Let's say for a moment that you have one big Data.fs
and you want to move the folder at /Site/Documents to its own database.
  First make a copy of Data.fs called "Documents.fs".  Set up dbtab.conf
to open both databases and mount /Site/Documents from Documents.fs.

When you restart Zope, initially nothing will have changed--the
documents are still in the main database.  Visit the folder at /Site and
delete the Documents object.  (If you have sufficient backups, this
shouldn't make your heart race. ;-) )  Now add the DBTab mount point.
/Site/Documents will come back, this time loading from Documents.fs.
Rather than a Folder, the object at /Site/Documents will be whatever
kind of object it used to be, whether it was a CMF PortalFolder or a
Zazzywag Kanuliputz.  Everything will work like it did before--you don't
even need to restart a second time.

You'll want to use DBTab 1.1, BTW--I think it solves all the former
strange bugs, and it's significantly faster.

You'll have to adapt for BDBStorage.

> BTW is there a better way to ask you those questions, instead of mailing
you
> directly, and also make you and the Zope community happier ?

I CC'ed zope-dev@zope.org.

Shane

- Disclaimer -
This email and any attachments thereto may contain information which is
confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are
intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above. Any use of the
information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or
partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) or the
taking of any action in reliance on the contents, by persons other than the
designated recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender either by
telephone or by email and delete the material from any computer.

Thank you for your cooperation.