[Zope-dev] implementing structured text alternative w/in Zope

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 18:38:50 -0600

>I'm a programmer but new to Zope. I'm developing a text markup language
>like Structured Text that better suits my needs outside the Zope/Python
>world. Would I be able to incorporate it within Zope, i.e., so I could
>edit the new format in the edit window and have it displayed as HTML by
>the server, handled as a Zope object, etc.?
>
>I'd like to do it as transparently as (on the lowest level) possible,
>but if it turns out I have to do it as a feature of a product, that
>will be OK. Any tips for either scenario much appreciated.

Remember that in the grand scheme of things, most everything in Zope is
a Product. And practically everything can be manipulated by a product.
Especially with what you intend to do: not too long ago was ZPT an
add-on product, as well as STX. DTML and ZSQLMethods are implemented as
products. So you're not really losing anything by doing it that way. If
what you're doing is really useful and general, perhaps it will be added
to the Zope distribution sometime in the future, but you needn't count
on that.'

       --jcc