[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Re: Proposed installation changes for review

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:05:32 -0600

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Well, in a typical installation, you won't be running ZEO on the same
> machine as Zope, right?  ZEO has its own install and config stuff,
> which is very similar to that for Zope, but ZEO is not installed as
> part of the main Zope install.

I routinely run ZEO on all of my sites, on the same machine.  I don't
gain any "scalability" benefits this way, but it is fantastic for
debugging and tweaking a live site.

My creaky old zctl.py auto-starts ZEO when necessary, using the same
configuration data as it uses for the associated Zope instance, so they
  both know to use 'var/zeo.soc' to connect.

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am