[Zope-dev] Proposed installation changes for review

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:11:42 +0100

Chris McDonough wrote at 2003-3-10 16:41 -0500:
 > - Configuration is normally done by editing a config file instead of
 >   passing command line options.  The configuration file is handled by
 >   the ZConfig package.
 >
 > - Environment variables are no longer used for configuration.

I am *very* sad about this.

Configuration via environment variables is easy and much more
flexible than configuration files:

  We use a single configuration for a farm of Zopes.
  Of course, each Zope needs its own ZEO client cache,
  its own log file, its own pid files, ....

  All this is achieved by incorporating the result of "hostname"
  into the respective environment variables.

  I do not know how to do something like this in a configuration
  file (unless it provides for some form of shell functionality).

Howfully, the configuration file supports (at least) definition of
"key constants" (like hostname) and its interpolation in
other modular (and reusable) components.

 > - Building and installing the software have become more clearly
 >   distinct; the installation can be separate from the build.

Seems you make the elementary installation more difficult.

Advanced installations may get easier, though...

Dieter