[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] How (in)secure is Zope?

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:59:09 +0100

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Christian Tismer]

>>I don't mean to offend anybody by this, it is just
>>a very simple question which I cannot answer alone.
>

> There may be a simple question hiding in this, but it's hard to find <wink>.
>
> You try:  how secure is sendmail?  how secure is ssh?  how secure is Python?
> Answer those simple(?!) questions in the way you're looking for, and maybe
> someone can do the same wrt Zope.  As is, you *appear* to be asking for a
> one-word summary of an encyclopedia.  "Big" <wink>.

Hey, you're right.
Maybe, by "simple question" I meant "short question",
not necessarily easy to answer at all. :-)

For the sysadmin's POV, I think it should be formulated
like:
If I install Zope, and I don't have the time to become
a Zope guru, what are the newly accumulated risks
for my system, if I use the default installation?

The biggest fear would probably be a number of known
exploits, and Joe Hacker just has to download some
of "those tools", and the system is open.
It appears that at least *that* is not the case.

I think the answers given on the list were quite
useful, thanks to you all!

cheers - chris

p.s.: sendmail? ssh? Python?
Security exploits are discussed in the bugtraq list.
I can find them all in the list archive.
What about Zope? It is not in bugtraq.

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>