[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.7: OrderSupport for ObjectManager

Yuppie schubbe@web.de
Tue, 06 May 2003 16:23:07 +0200

Hi Chris!

Chris McDonough wrote:
>>Sometimes people want to maintain a user-specific order, but want to
>>start from a sorted order. E.g. if most sub-objects should be ordered by
>>'title', but some special sub-objects should be at top of the container.
>

> So you mean that someone's usage of it would go like this:
>
> - Add an ordered folder "O" and change its sort attr to "title"
>
> - Add a bunch of subobjects to "O".
>
> - Apply sorting.
>
> - Move stuff up and down.
>
> Is that about right?

Yes.

>>>This might be an argument to ditch the dynamic sorting feature until we
>>>better understand the use cases.  That said, the feature isn't exposed
>>>in the mgmt interface, so it might be ok.  But if people come to rely on
>>>it, it will be difficult to remove (and will never ever go away).
>>
>>AFAICS, 'orderObjects' would still be useful for the use case described
>>above. 'getDefaultSorting' and 'setDefaultSorting' provide a small
>>subset of the API you propose and should play well with any "IndexedFolder".
>

> While I see what you're saying, I think anticipating an API is a bit
> speculative.

Naturally.

> Anyway, all of this is just advisory, but at very least, I'd like to see
> the "apply current sorting" button go away in the UI because it's not
> entirely clear what it does to someone who doesn't understand the code.
> If you can't investigate the sorting parameters TTW, you probably
> shouldn't be able to activate them TTW.

I'm not sure I did get your last point: The sorting parameters are
visualized by the sorting the items currently have in the TTW view (and
by the bold column heading). I thought this is a very intuitiv way to
investigate sorting parameters.

Cheers,

Yuppie