[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.7: OrderSupport for ObjectManager

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski@uni-bielefeld.de
Wed, 07 May 2003 00:01:15 +0200

Chris McDonough wrote:
> Might there be some way we can provide hooks to allow people to more
> easily build add-on products that modified UI code with this type of
> functionality (e.g. prevent people from having to overwrite main.dtml)?

That's what I thought of many times...

How about changing main.dtml with a series of diff-patches on Zope's
startup?

- Zope starts and sets up the main.dtml as manage_main of the ObjectManager.

- Product A (e.g. External Editor) applies a patch to the source of
manage_main (as diff to the "official" main.dtml)

- Product B (e.g. AbracadabraObject) applies a patch to the patched
manage_main (as diff to the "official" main.dtml)

- and so on...

Some guidelines for Product-Authors should help avoiding interferences...

Cheers, Maik