[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.7: OrderSupport for ObjectManager

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
07 May 2003 11:47:30 -0400

> I like the idea of the OrderSupport-Mixin-class. But maybe we shouldn't
> introduce a new additional meta_type "Folder (Ordered)". Instead we
> should extend the normal Folder with OrderSupport as originally
> proposed. People who don't need order support don't have to use it. All
> other people can use the OrderSupport without converting their
> Folder-(or-derived)-Instances.

FWIW, if "ordered folder" functionality needs to go into the core (which
I'm admittedly leery of to start with), I think I agree with Maik, as
long as:

- the ordering method names are sufficiently verbose (to reduce
  the chance of acquisition name collisions).

- the default Folder ZMI UI does not change, but can be influenced
  by add-in product code.

FWIW, this whole business would be made much easier if we moved the skin
machinery out of CMF and into the core.

- C