[Zope-dev] The Return of the Son of Session Errors, redux

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
28 May 2003 11:19:55 -0400

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 04:54, Jean Jordaan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We're being chowed heavily by the KeyError discussed from the
> 13th to the 18th March in this thread:
>    http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2003-March/019081.html
>
> Has there been any definite resolution of that issue? We're running
> Zope 2.6.1, has the issue gone away on Zope 2.6.2?

I just checked in a change that disables the "low conflict connection"
feature of temporary storage.  This fixes the KeyError issue out of
'get', but others have reported a problem for which the symptom is a a
KeyError out of the storage's 'load' method.  I have not been able to
reproduce this problem.

> In that thread a patch to TemporaryFolder.py was suggested
> to deal with ReadConflictErrors, but we don't get those. The
> suggestions regarding the KeyErrors was:
>
>   1) to move to a different storage, such as BerkeleyStorage or
>      DirectoryStorage, for the session data, or
>   2) to "touch the objects that are likely to change early in the
>      transaction." (Toby Dickenson).
>
> Our errors are triggered in the bowels of XMLWidgets, so I don't
> think 1) is a simple solution, and we don't want to do 2) if we
> can avoid it. Have specific alternative session storages been
> found to be free of this issue?

You can give it a shot.  The problem definitely seems to be related to
the TemporaryStorage class, which won't be used if you use a different
storage.

> The initial report has been logged as a 'critical' error as
>    http://collector.zope.org/Zope/848
> but it's still Pending.

I have commented on the issue.

Thanks!